Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Swallows and power lines (Golondrinas)

Swallow on power lines. Photograph by Tim IrvingWhen I look up I see power lines and (in summer) swallows.

There are plenty of swallows around at the moment. I used to think that they had one clutch of chicks a year, but I was wrong. I've just read that swallows continue to breed as long as there's plenty of food, rearing up to 4 clutches of chicks a year.

I've also just discovered that when they leave the nest for the first time the chicks sit on power lines and are fed insects by their parents. So last week I spent some time stalking swallows with my camera. The framed photo above captures the essense of the feeding scene, the power lines and the morning sky at this time of the year.

The above photo is now sold but there is another in my Etsy shop.

2 comments:

  1. When I see birds on a wire, I imagine them gossiping, teehee.
    Maybe it's because of that expression "a little bird told me..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photo, Tim. In every way. When I lived in Aix, I was on the 3rd floor of a building that was across from a school. My building and the school were both hundreds of years old and had the typical tile roofs. The school had a tower, and the swallows swooped and soared and called out to each other all day long. I used to lie on my bed (mattress on the floor - starving student) and look up and out at them for long periods of time. And at my current workplace a few years ago, I was able to see the feeding scene you describe above: five baby swallows sat in a row on the power lines while the parents flew in, stuffed them with bugs, and flew out for more. The babies were so excited and so full of life! It was a beautiful sight!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin