I'm having some matte's cut by my local framer to fit my old frames, he's charging me 5 euros for each one. I remember buying a matte cutter by mail order, many years ago. The tool consisted of a dull craft blade that slotted into a long metal ruler and came with one sheet of instructions, in French. The contraption made no sense at all to me and it went the way of all unwanted 'buys', on Ebay.The matte's being made have off-set square apertures and will fit rectangular frames, but in the meantime, I'm using the few square frames I have. This one is a very plain black frame that originally had a white matte. The white matte didn't work on this image, and only looked right with a few photographs, notably black and white. So I've stained the matte with cold tea, just enough to dull it down a touch.
Excellent! What a clever and appropriate alteration to apply. I can tell that seeing your photographs custom framed by you is going to give me a bad case of the I-Wants. Sure wish I could attend the exhibition. The works will be for sale, I presume?
ReplyDelete