Monday, July 27, 2009

My desert island disc - Number 5 Madame Rêve by Alain Bashung

Number 5 on my list of Desert Island Discs is Madame Rêve by Alain Bashung. In truth, any of his songs would be worthy of inclusion.

Alain Bashung is mostly unknown outside France, but in France he's a massive star for his music and film appearances, and rightly so. He started his career in the early 60' as a song writer and found fame in the 70's as a singer. He followed a tradition of Parisian chanson like Charles Trenet, Georges Brassens and Serge Gainsbourg.

Sadly Alain died this year at the age of 61. Have a look at this video and I think, like me, you may become a fan.

3 comments:

  1. oh i love him! and yes..it is so sad he passed away a few months ago..French people really adored him and saw him as one of our last poets too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, and is a really nice video :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Moody. Good music for painting late at night. I very much like it and will have to check him out.

    I lived in Aix-en-Provence in 1985-86, and I really liked being hooked in to the French music. It wasn't as easy then as it is now to find and experience non-American music. So living in France was rich in that way. More than 20 years later I'm still nursing along the tapes I brought home then. Thanks for the lead on Bashung.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin