Monday, July 27, 2009

Alternative uses for old wood - Sleepers and Cross ties

In Great Britain they're called sleepers (I don't know why), and in the US they're known as cross ties or railroad ties, what am I talking about? Sleepers are the pieces of timber that support railroad tracks. There are around 3,000 sleepers for every mile of track.

These big planks start their life treated with creosote for protection. They then spend years out in all weathers ageing like a good wine.

When the sleepers are de-commissioned they're sold to reclaiming (re-cycling. re-purposing) companies and are available to all. I've seen them used in gardens to raise flower beds and as decking, but here are two unusual uses for them.

Railway sleepers as stairs. Photograph by Tim IrvingHard wearing stairsRailway sleepers as stairs. Photograph by Tim IrvingRailway sleepers as stairs. Photograph by Tim IrvingWhat a great way to store your recipe books.

1 comment:

  1. Rough and beautiful, perfect in that style home too. I'm loving all the dark wood amidst the pure white plaster.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin