Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A wonderful little shop

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!
I can't divulge the secret location of this shop.......... all I can say is, it's in a back street in Granada. It would kill it for me if there was another customer, you see I believe I'm the only person who knows this shop.

The shop is very, very small. So small that I have to remove my camera bag to avoid breaking things, and there's a lot of stuff to break. There is treasure everywhere, on the floor, inside drawers, behind cabinets and on the ceiling, plus it's constantly and mysteriously changing from week to week.

The contents of the shop comes from all over Europe, and it's all good quality. But it's the diversity that amazes me. I once found a set of 19th century photographs from a vicarage in Hertfordshire, England.

The shop is owned by a very elegant lady who always wears a suit, tweed in winter and lightweight in summer. She has big hair that looks hard, and a constant smile on her face. She's a brilliant salesperson. She gives ridiculous discounts and gifts. She hums tunes while she pretends not to be watching me as I pick up valuable china and glass to inspect. Plus she gives you candy, usually small violet scented sweets from Madrid.

Anyway, I've given away too much. Here are a few photographs, just to give you a taste.

shop. Photograph by Tim Irving
shop. Photograph by Tim Irving
shop. Photograph by Tim Irving
shop. Photograph by Tim Irving
shop. Photograph by Tim Irving
shop. Photograph by Tim Irving
shop. Photograph by Tim Irving
shop. Photograph by Tim Irving

7 comments:

  1. That's very unfair of you to do that! Just from your few photos I can see so many things I really want. It looks like paradise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how divine! I would love to visit this jewel of a little shop. That said, keep it's exact location your special secret otherwise we are all sure to hop on the next flight to Granada and buy everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink walls are what thrill me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a find, reminds me of all the little shops that used to be in in our local town but have now vanished, you are a very lucky tim that i have an aversion to flying, but thinking about it perhaps i could get there by eurostar. !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you had me when you said there's stuff in the drawers and on the ceilings, not to mention ridiculous gifts and discounts offered by a proprietor worth writing home about. (If you could just see how pitiful I look clicking to enlarge the photos, peering intently at all the goodies in the background).

    My proposal: When you pick me up at the station, blindfold me, then drive to that shop. After all, I can only do so much damage before returning to California, n'est pas? I realize it will be a long day since I ask to be picked up at the station every time you post a shop, but I think you have the stamina for it. If not, just wait in the car.

    Your pickin's are European and British pickin's. There's picken's here, but I want your picken's over there. Yes, your deeply discounted, widely varied, weekly changing pickin's over there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, must we stare all week-end at the pink walls whose glow we shall never bask in? Or will you throw us a new bone to chew on until Monday?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin