Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Desert Island Discs - Number 3 John Cooper Clarke - Chickentown

I'd need something on my desert island to remind me of the north west of England where I grew up. If I could remember the almost continuous rain and grey skies I used to live under, then my desert island might not seem such a bad place.

In truth and despite the weather, I love the north of England and my desert island disc is a poem by the great performance poet John Cooper Clarke, with an atmospheric video of a train pulling out of a station in Manchester (I'm not sure which station, Manchester used to have seven).

While I was looking for this poem I found a version used to end an episode of the Sopranos. I didn't get the connection but it works well.

3 comments:

  1. You'd feel right at home in Oregon.

    I've actually heard that Oregon and England are very similar weather wise. Gray skies are so predominant that anything else almost seems unnatural, but it makes us appreciate the sunny days even more. The flip side is that it also makes it hard to watch them come to an end.

    That said, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Living some place else for a short time would be interesting and an adventure, but I'd miss the constant green, the trees, the mountains, the valleys, the coast range. I'd probably even miss the rain - eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it wasn't all grey skies and rain Tim, remember the long hot school holidays when the tarmac on the pavements used to melt and cover the soles of our baseball boots, which I suppose wasn't a bad thing it gave us several weeks more wear out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sort of a battle song feel. For this one I see you painting your face with island mud and natural pigments, and possibly wearing a tattered plaid loin cloth.

    (as perhaps the only American to have never watched an episode of the Sopranos, I don't get the connection either, but the train video was cool. Also Googled Clarke to learn more. LOVE the photos of him, such a man of the times)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin