I've just finished reading Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia HighsmithDeep Water is a psychological thriller about a couple in small-town America, whose seemingly perfect marriage comes under scrutiny when the wife's extra-marital affairs, are thought to have resulted in the deaths of several men.
Her most famous book and my favourite is the "The Talented Mr Ripley" I bought this book while on holiday in India, before it was made into a film. I remember lying on a beach quite unable to believe what I was reading, the novel's "hero" is a psychopath, and a likable one! Utterly gripping and creepy, one of the books that you never forget.
Born in Texas but spending her working life in Europe, she was as odd as the characters in her novels. Her life story would make a great film.
Thank you for the heads up about this biography. I love her writing and her characters. Have read many of her books, but I'll have to check if I have read Deep Water - if not I will be purchasing it soon!
ReplyDeleteSo I just looked her up, and I see that she wrote "Strangers on a Train" which was a Hitchcock movie I saw years ago. I only just viewed "The Talented Mr. Ripley" this past summer. Both movies gripping but disturbing. I'm sure the books must be even moreso; that's usually the case. I'll have to give them a read. . . cautiously. Watching Ripley home alone on a week-end sort of freaked me out!
ReplyDeleteHello, thanks a lot for your post! I read "The talented Mr. Riley" and loved it (as well as I liked the movie), but I didn't read anything else. So I think I'd better grab "Deep Water" before they finish the movie and I'll put the biography on my Christmas list!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Sara